In a world rife with different sexualities and sexual orientation, sexual dysfunction is still a thing. Not minding that sexuality exists in a continuum, sexual disorders should be a thing of concern especially when it causes you or others around you great distress. However, most people don’t see some of these so-called disorders as being unhealthy, especially when it doesn’t cause harm or disturb the nearest person. According to Wiki, sexual dysfunction or sexual disorder is “difficulty experienced by an individual or a couple during any stage of a normal sexual activity, including physical pleasure, desire, preference, arousal or orgasm.”
Also, sexual disorders may center on paraphilia, commonly known as sexual deviancies or perversions. As defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, they involve recurrent fantasies, urges or behaviors of a sexual nature that center around children, non-humans (animals, objects, materials), or harming others or one’s self. And because people who suffer some of these disorders are known for abusing others, people often see them as monsters, and are therefore repulsive. But the truth is that, they all are not. Some of these disorders may harm people while others might not.
- Exhibitionism-This has to do with the habit of displaying one’s genitals to strangers. This ‘rush’ to show their stuffs to strangers is often accompanied with a strong urge to masturbate.
- Fetishism– This has to do with a certain kind of fixation on objects for sexual gratification. Most of the people with this disorder cannot reach organism without the fetish object around. Fetish objects might be a piece of clothing, or an action.
- Frotteurism-this is a disorder where a person gets sexual gratification from rubbing a part of them, especially one’s pelvic area or erect penis, on another person, usually in a crowd. This disorder seems to be trending currently in Nigeria as many young women share weird stories of strange men rubbing their junks on them. It is common to men and women though, though more in men.
- Pedophilia-This happens when a sexually mature adult harbours fantasies or engages in coital relations with pre-pubescent children. And in most cases, these abused children are threatened into silence.
- Sexual masochism or sadism-this involves people who derive sexual pleasure through giving or receiving (emotional or physical) pain, humiliation, and embarrassment.
- Transvetism-This involves getting sexual stimulation or pleasure from cross-dressing. A normal heterosexual-male might fantasize about dressing up in female clothing.
- Voyeurism-This is a disorder also known as “peeping Tom”. It involves getting sexual satisfaction from spying on someone especially when he/she is undressing. This disorder is however common among men and women.
Other extreme ones include having sex with a corpse(necrophilia),having sexual relations with faeces and urine, and with animals.